Firmware update procedure for Mac

Home Forums Synthino XM Support Firmware update procedure for Mac

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Michael
    Keymaster

1) Download the DFU Programmer utility: http://synthino.com/downloads/DFUProgrammer.dmg

2) Download the firmware file and put it in the same folder as the dfu-programmer program. Firmware files (.hex) can be found on the Manual/Downloads page: http://synthino.com/manual/

3) Hold down Synthino XM button 3 then connect USB between your Mac and the Synthino XM. You may now release button 3. The Synthino XM is in programming mode and is waiting for new firmware from your Mac. None of the LEDs will blink.

4) Open a terminal window by running /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app

5) Change directory to the location of dfu-programmer by typing “cd” command at the terminal prompt. For example:
    cd /Users/mike/Desktop/synthino/dfu-programmer-0.6.2

6) Run the DFU Programmer command from the folder with the dfu-programmer program by typing the following command. For example to load synthino_xm_v1.1.hex:

./dfu-programmer atxmega128a4u flash --erase-first synthino_xm_v1.1.hex

5) Now disconnect and reconnect power to the Synthino XM. It will now be running the new firmware.

jasper_ryder
    Participant

I want to download the drone firmware for my new Synthino. When I click on the link it just opens a page of code but nothing downloads?

Michael
    Keymaster

jasper_ryder, just right-click on the link and choose “Save as…” to save the file.

jasper_ryder
    Participant

I am not getting this to work. When I run the programmer I am getting this in terminal. No sounds change.

Last login: Tue Jan 12 21:15:11 on ttys000
    jasper-komassa:~ jasperkomassa1$ /Users/jasperkomassa1/Desktop/synthino\ xm/dfu-programmer-0.6.2/dfu-programmer ; exit;
    Type ‘dfu-programmer –help’ for a list of commands
    ‘dfu-programmer –targets’ to list supported target devices
    ‘dfu-programmer –version’ to show version information
    logout

[Process completed]

Michael
    Keymaster

jasper, it does not look like you ran the command in the instructions. I’m not sure how you got the output you just posted.

Do this:

Open the terminal app. It is in /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app

Change to the directory you have your dfu-programmer in by typing this at the command prompt:
    cd /Users/jasperkomassa1/Desktop/synthino\ xm/dfu-programmer-0.6.2

Run the dfu-programmer command as described above:
    ./dfu-programmer atxmega128a4u flash --erase-first synthino_xm_v1.1.hex

…where “synthinog_xm_v1.1.hex” is the name of the .hex file you want to load. It is assumed that you saved this file in the same folder as the dfu-programmer utility.

jasper_ryder
    Participant

Ok this worked.
    I entered all of the code into terminal manually, which I can do in the future now that I know the method.

It is supposed to work by dropping the hex file into the folder with the dfu-programmer and just running the programmer, correct?

Or was it always supposed to be entered manually?

Michael
    Keymaster

The instructions are to run the programmer by typing the command above. The programmer has to be run with the correct arguments. I’m not sure how you ran it without any arguments (did you just double click on it?). I guess I assume that Mac users are familiar with typing commands in a terminal window, but maybe not. Sorry for the confusion.

jasper_ryder
    Participant

Yeah I double clicked it to run it. I use terminal, but only occasionally. To me, the directions sounded like you could run it by double clicking the icon.

Thanks! Having a blast with the Synthino. Looking forward to future firmware versions as well.

jasper_ryder
    Participant

Just thinking what the perfect firmware would be for me at this point. Could there ever be a version that replaced the groovebox firmware with the drone firmware on the stock firmware? So it would have the synth, the arpeggiator, and the drone.

Michael
    Keymaster

Firmware with synth, arpeggiator and drone is possible, but would require many hours of work. Hard to prioritize against everything else.

jasper_ryder
    Participant

Ok, I understand. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for it happening someday down the line. Thanks.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.